D and the world

Mike Parker aldacron71 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 29 22:57:33 PDT 2007

Bill Baxter wrote:
> Mike Parker wrote:
>> Georg Wrede wrote:
>>

>>> Right now browsing through Doom source code, I wonder if it would be
>>> a good idea to translate that to D. And even better, if it looks
>>> successful, then write about it on DDJ or some other magazine.
>>
>> Quake 3 would be more interesting to port, I think, given that it's
>> more recent. I started to do just that a while back, but just didn't
>> have the time to keep with it. It's always in the back of my mind,
>> though.
>
> Geez I need to get with the times.  Quake 3 source has been released?

About a year-and-a-half ago. You can find the id release at:

http://www.fileshack.com/file.x?fid=7547.

But I'd recommend ioquake 3:

http://ioquake3.org/

This code base includes several bug fixes to the original id release, is
ported to more platforms, plays nicely with gcc on Windows, has an SDL
system implementation, uses OpenAL for sound, has support for ogg
vorbis, and a good deal more. When I started the D port I was working
with the id release, but if I ever go back to it I'll use ioq3.