D and the world

Mike Parker aldacron71 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 30 03:32:20 PDT 2007

Alix Pexton wrote:

> I admit that I did not make this point at all well in my previous post.
> I wasn't trying to suggest DSL-to-D translation, if that is what you
> mean by "source-to-source", only that in D you have the option to use
> the same code at run-time and compile-time, so, if in implementing an
> engine that needs to be able to load logic dynamically during
> development, you can with careful implementaion, use the same code to
> import and compile those same scripts into the executeable when making a
> release build.

Then that defeats the purpose, doesn't it? The idea of scripting is to
avoid recompiling the host application. This is especially important to
allow modding by users. The goal is for your target scripters, be it the
development team or the players, to be able fire up a text editor, make
changes to the script, and see them immediately in the game. Requiring
CTFE of scripts doesn't make sense in that case.