D vs VM-based platforms

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Mon Apr 30 11:51:07 PDT 2007

Jan Claeys wrote:

> And I think in the case of dynamic languages like Python, a JIT-compiler
> often can create much better code at run-time than a compiler could do
> when compiling it before run-time.

One issue with run-time optimization is its impact on performance.  A
traditional compiler can take as long as it wants to exhaustively
optimize an application, while a JIT-compiler may only optimize in a way
that does not hurt application responsiveness or performance.  At SDWest
last year, there was a presentation on C++ vs. Java performance, and one
of the most significant factors was that most Java JIT-compilers perform
little if any optimization, while C++ compilers optimize exhaustively.
That said, JIT optimization is still a relatively new practice, and with
more cores being added to computers these days it's entirely possible
that a JIT optimizer could run on one or more background CPUs and do
much better than today.

Sean