std.threads : smp programming

renoX renosky at free.fr
Wed Aug 1 01:59:18 PDT 2007

Wiz Wrote:

> std.threads is a great lib, helped me more than one time.
> But there was a missing thing, something to really help programmers
> making smp code.
> We need to create a thread by core/cpu, but, there is nothing like a
> function that return the number of processors.

One thing to be cautious: when Intel "hyperthreading" is activated, each core can be seen as two cores, except that the performance is very different (around 20% max with hyperthreading compared to a max of 100% for another real core).
So, there should be more information returned: number of real core, number of virtual core for example.

renoX