Well, well...

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Thu Aug 2 10:22:07 PDT 2007

"James Smith" <jksmith at grid-sky.com> wrote in message
news:f8sqne$1bp1$1 at digitalmars.com...

> "Nick Sabalausky" <a at a.a> wrote in message
> news:f8rt59$2jki$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> I've always felt that the main thing holding the Internet back from being
>> an OS-commoditizing platform are all of the design and implementation
>> flaws in all the technologies the web is built on. HTML, JavaScript, ASP,
>> PHP, browsers, etc. I could go forever listing problems I have with them,
>> but I'll list just a few at random and leave it at that:
>
> Sure, but this is just a growing pain. Personal computing has to evolve
> from each user on his own little island to being plugged into a grid.
> Naturally, forces like MSFT will discourage this as long as they can, then
> relent by degrees and figure out how to make money in the new environment.
> For all the quirks, the browser delivers an increasingly sophisticated OS
> agnostic user interface.

[clipped...]

>>And I *strongly* agree on placing a high focus on techniques to maximize
>>code reliability. That's something I've focused a lot on lately
>>(Reliability and productivity without sacrificing power is what drew me to
>>D in the first place).
>
> Absolutely, real concurrency won't be achievable without coinciding focus
> on reliable computing, which is why I'm so enthused about how D
> development is going. Apparently, real effort is being put into these
> issues in this community. These issues appear to hold little value in
> Delphi and C# land.

Right. And from what I've seen, those issues haven't been holding much value
in other web scripting languages (server- or client-side), either. Which, as
it sounds like we're both saying, is something that will have to change
before the web can reach it's potential. The worlds of Java and C++ do seem
to care about reliable computing, but IMO they tend to be prone to missteps
and are still lagging behind D in both reliability and
pragmatism/produtivity. (Although Java has been making at least some good
strides in pragmatism: 1.5 is a welcome improvement over 1.4, it finally
adds things like foreach).

I'm not trying to de-emphasise concurrency, it's just that reliability and
productivity are where my focuses have been lately, so that's what I have
the most to say about. My only experience with concurrency has been just
with one microcontroller (Parallax's Propeller).