Overloading/Inheritance issue

Jeff Nowakowski jeff at dilacero.org
Sun Aug 5 07:45:25 PDT 2007

Walter Bright wrote:
> Another problem with them is they are not part of the D compiler itself,
> and in my experience add on tools rarely get used, no matter how useful
> they are.

I think optimizing your language for vi and the printer is a dead-end.
The vast majority of the time a developer is going to be working on his
code on a computer using some tool.  If a tool lets you make use of a
big productivity feature, then it makes sense to use it and officially
endorse it as a basic requirement of the language.  Even vi users use
tools like grep and ctags.

-Jeff