Hijacking

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Mon Aug 6 10:23:35 PDT 2007

"Rioshin an'Harthen" <rharth75 at hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:f974u9$9k1$1 at digitalmars.com...
> "Walter Bright" <newshound1 at digitalmars.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> news:f95leh$hn4$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> It might be one of those things like exception specifications where
>> everyone says it's a good idea but guiltily hate in secret <g>.
>
> Exception specification *is* a good idea. Although I do hate it - try to
> remember what a specific method may throw when you write your code,
> especially if the error is ambiguous like "Unhandled exception" it's
> really irritating - but I hate unspecified exceptions even more, as the
> problem then is to even remember to put in the necessary try-catch-finally
> blocks.

Not to start a big big debate on it, but my own personal feeling on that
(after having used a fair amount of it) is that the specification of
exceptions belongs in generated documentation (whether javadoc-style or as
part of the IDE as with "some_function() -> Called By..."). I normally
prefer having to explicity specify things (yea, strong-typing fan here ;) ),
but personally, I find it overkill in this case. (Not to mention it gave me
flashbacks of writing C/C++ headers. j/k ;) ).