Few things II

BCS ao at pathlink.com
Tue Aug 7 09:49:42 PDT 2007

Reply to bearophile,

> Here are some more notes, that I think are less important/significant
> than the first ones. Probably some of the following notes are
> silly/useless. There are various things I don't know about D yet.
>
> 1) The Ddoc has some bugs. For example I'd like to write in the docs
> that a function takes an input in [0,1), but that produces a wrong
> html output.

It has a few more than that <G>

> ----------------------
>
> 9) Bit fields of structs: D is a practical language, so I think it can
> support them too, to allow people to translate C => D code more simply
> (D has already chosen similar practical compromises regarding C for
> other things).

D used to have this after a sorts. It was removed. I forget why.

> ----------------------
>
> 15) On the newsgroup I have seen a list of "wishes", among them I
> like:
> - Iterators and Generators (yield is a good starting point)

under the covers, yeild is a disaster IMO

> 21) In this newsgroup I've seen that people like a lot the ability of
> doing:
>
> txt.split()
>
> But I don't like it much because it's a syntactical sugar that masks
> the fact that those split are functions

How? Just about anything after a dot is a funcion (excluding member access
and with regars to types) even method cals are function.

> (that pollute the namespace)

If that were removed then nothing could be used with that syntax on a char[],
so what pollution is their?

> and they aren't true methods (object functions).

In what way?

> That namespace
> pollution may cause problems, if you have already defined elsewhere a
> function with the same name and similar signature.

Could you give an example?