__traits conflicts with rationale

Craig Black craigblack2 at cox.net
Tue Aug 7 19:42:19 PDT 2007

"Robert Fraser" <fraserofthenight at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:f9ae0p$hcl$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Walter Bright Wrote:
>
>> Deewiant wrote:
>> > http://www.digitalmars.com/d/rationale.html
>> >
>> > "__ keywords should indicate a proprietary language extension, not a
>> > basic part
>> > of the language."
>> >
>> > You said it, not me. ;-)
>> >

>> I know. Generally, the __traits thing is an experiment.
>
> A fairly successful experiment, if you ask me. All we need is a little
> runtime reflection now.. hint, hint, nudge, nudge.

If __traits worked properly it would be adequate to generate runtime
reflection via templates.  I see this as ideal because it makes generating
reflection data optional and flexible.  However, see the Inadeqaucies of
__traits thread.  Kirk McDonald's also has a blog on the subject
http://kirkmcdonald.blogspot.com/2007/07/inadequacies-of-traits.html.

-Craig