2/3 dimensional arrays + comparison page truncated

Henrik zodiachus at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 22:21:15 PDT 2007

Deewiant wrote:
> Daniel White wrote:
>> A few things. Firstly, what's happened to the main comparison page:
>> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/comparison.html
>>
>> It's only showing stats for D.
>
> It got tonnes of complaints by non-D users about how their languages were being
> misrepresented. In the end, it was decided to take them out completely.

I think it was when DMD finally hit 1.0 (and thus got some extra
attention). People would complain that "their" language indeed do have
(insert feature here) and then show a two-page example on how to do this
  via the language's standard library. Usually a D user would then point
out somewhat smugly that the comparison page states that only language
  features are compared - standard libraries are not included in the
comparison. Although this may be true, the discussion would usually
degenerate from there into some form of flame war with hurt feelings and
bruised egos.
Programmers can be very dogmatic like that sometimes. Just as other
people we tend to mix up what we do with who we are. I think it was
decided that although the comparison page was technically correct, it
had to be "truncated" a bit in the interests of public relations.