Win32 headers: Problem with COM interface indirection levels

jcc7 technocrat7 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 07:18:52 PDT 2007

== Quote from Michael Butscher (mbutscher at gmx.de)'s article
> Carlos Santander wrote:
> > Michael Butscher escribió:
> [...]
> I found out in the meantime that some headers (namely
> "d3d9.d") were modified already in a similar way, but it was not
> documented in the translation instructions.

It's been mentioned on the wiki page at
http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?WindowsAPI, but I think you're right that
it's not in the "Translation instructions" section (and it probably should be there).

I get the feeling that the WindowsAPI page at Wiki4D has gotten way too big to be
efficient. I think that it should probably be split into subpages, but I would be
afraid of stepping on the toes of the WindowsAPI team by doing it myself.

(Also, I wonder if it would work better to store the content that's current at
Wiki4D in the bindings wiki instead [http://www.dsource.org/projects/bindings],
since it is part of the bindings project and dsource wikis have a cool way of
formatting D source code.)

> > Remember that there's a ComInterface (or
> > something like that) in std.c.windows.com (I think) which gets
> > special treatment by the compiler.
> It seems that every interface named "IUnknown" (and derived
> interfaces) is handled specially, regardless of the containing
> module. This is not the problem.
> > Maybe the compiler performs some magic there in order to get
> > everything working fine.
> >
> > Also, maybe this question is better suited in the Bindings project
> > Dsource forum?
> You are right. I only found forums a bit impractical, but that's not
> a good argument.

Actually by my count, it's already been mentioned twice by other people in the
Bindings forum.

http://www.dsource.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2458
http://www.dsource.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2253#14074

(The bindings project doesn't really have formal leadership, though, so I'm not
sure who's reading that forum anyway.)