Overloading/Inheritance issue

Christopher Wright dhasenan at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 05:50:03 PDT 2007

Bruno Medeiros wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>>> (The closest I recall is "refactoring" C++ code, but that's something
>>> where the CLI won't help you either)
>>
>> Sure it does, the CLI has very powerful text processing tools
>> available to it.
>
> Maybe for rename refactoring. Most other refactoring operations need an
> actual semantic tool, you can't do it with CLI text processing tools.

Yes, you can. It's just that tools for this are not currently written.

> But that is a moot point: when you do such rename refactoring, most of
> the times the IDE built-in search-replace facilities are just as good as
> using the CLI, if not better. For example in Visual Studio C++ I find it
> more convenient to do search replace in the IDE, since it already knows
> which C++ files belong to the project and which don't.

Are you saying that Visual Studio is better at refactoring C++ code than
sed? :boggles:

> That's not saying there aren't cases where using the CLI is better, but
> in those cases (which should not be common), one can just fire up a
> shell, do it, and go back to the IDE.

They shouldn't be common because if they are, that functionality should
be integrated into the IDE.

> Walter Bright wrote:
>  > Bruno Medeiros wrote:
>  >> But again this was a shell-specific point. When programming, I don't
>  >> recall ever *having the need* to do a series of repeated actions in an
>  >> IDE. Perhaps you can give an example?
>  >
>  > Here are some:
>  >
>  > .. global file renaming
>  > .. running automated test suites
>  > .. interfile search/replace across a subset of the project files
>  > .. copying a subset of the project files into another directory
>  > .. running the debugger with the same complex set of commands, over and
>  > over
>  >

> Some of those actions are simple to perform (like running automated test
> suites, or running the debugger with the same complex set of commands) :
> they should consist simply of a command invocation, whether in a GUI, or
> in an CLI shell.

And for the rest, you need the command line. Now, there's a command line
in Visual Studio....

> The others may indeed be repetitive to perform, but the same argument as
> above holds: if they are easier to do in the CLI (which should be an
> uncommon case, if the IDE is good), then fire up the CLI, do it, and go
> back to the IDE.

True, if the IDE is any better than vim, for instance. (I'm looking
directly at the XML editor in Visual Studio. It takes *ages* to load a
file of a few kilobytes, and after that, it's slow. Now, if I could get
vim to do syntax highlighting for aspx files, it'd be hands-down better.)

> An interesting and ironic side story:
> When I diff the docs of DMD releases, I have some regexps that clear out
> some common but unsignificant changes. However, because these are
> multi-line regexps, I have to load up my text editor (EmEditor) and use
> the search/replace feature of the editor, because GNU's sed -e, or any
> other standard GNU tool that I know of, does not support multi-line
> regexps. At least as far as I could find, If I am wrong and anyone know
> sa way, let me know, so that I can put it in a script. :)

sed goes line-by-line. You could use vim...that does multiline searches.
And you can give it command line arguments that describe vim commands to
execute.