Newly rewritten developer docs for DSSS

Gregor Richards Richards at codu.org
Fri Aug 10 15:14:30 PDT 2007

Bill Baxter wrote:
> Gregor Richards wrote:
>> Bill Baxter wrote:
>

>> *whew*!
>>
>> OK, I think that I covered these fairly effectively. When I first
>> wrote this doc, I had immediate peer review, but these additions did
>> not, so rewording suggestions are welcome.
>>

> ...[good additions cut]...
>
>>  > And one comment:
>>  > - "The 'set' command sets a setting" -- this not a very helpful
>>  > description.
>>  > It's not clear why you need 'set'.  It says it's for doing things
>>  > 'on-the-fly'.  But what does that mean?  Is
>>  >    prebuild = echo "Hi"
>>  > not on-the-fly?
>>
>> I changed the wording:
>>
>> "The 'set' command sets a dsss.conf file setting while DSSS is
>> actually running."
>>
>> Better?
>
> Well, it still basically says "'set' sets a setting", which is defining
> a word by using the word.  It doesn't clarify what you mean by a
> 'setting'.  That should be explained.  Also, it might help if you
> explained in the 'set' section more clearly what problem 'set' is
> designed to solve.

I honestly haven't a clue how to make this more clear. I'm not saying
that it's at all clear, just that I don't know how to improve it. What
exactly a setting is is described in an above section, so repeating it
there wouldn't be helpful. If you can suggest a wording, that would help.

> And as for the 'on-the-fly' part, which you changed to "while DSSS is
> actually running" -- are there other commands that do something when
> DSSS is not running!?

No, but there's no other way to set a setting while DSSS is running.

> --bb

  - Gregor Richards