Hiding class pointers -- was it a good idea?

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Thu Aug 16 11:33:58 PDT 2007

Stephen Waits wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>>
>> I was talking to a person who is a C++ developer for a major game
>> company just today. He told me that it is very difficult to find
>> experienced C++ developers, hire them, or even recognize them in a job
>> interview. When you are able to hire them, they cost plenty.
>
> I can second this.
>
> I'm a game developer, and I also happen to do most of the interviewing
> and hiring for my group.
>
> C++ and entry-level (i.e. fresh out of college) is almost non-existent.
>   There's quite a bit of "java syndrome" going on out there. Experienced
> C++ game devs are indeed expensive.

Right. One of the goals of D is to enable regular programmers to get
better results. Programming ordinary apps shouldn't require the top tier
programmers.

One reason Java, Ruby and VB are so popular is because this is true for
them.

> And also, *'s suck.  Please don't infect D with this.

I'm happy to debate this as I feel it is important to explain why this
design is the way it is, but don't worry, I feel very strongly that D's
behavior here is the right thing.