Can i use D for OS develop.

kris foo at bar.com
Thu Aug 16 14:23:58 PDT 2007

knott wrote:
> Paul Collier Wrote:
>
>> knott wrote:
>>> Hello. Before i start, i must apologize for my poor English.
>>>
>>> Can i use D language for OS development(Non-core - user mode devel)?
>> If you're talking about OS development, there are at least two projects
>> to write a kernel in D. You can see them at dsource.org. If you're
>> talking userspace development, I think you'll find that 95% of D
>> projects already run in userspace ;) If you're talking about something
>> in the middle, you can always bind D code to C APIs and disable the
>> garbage collector if needed.
>
> Im talking about a userspace development in system which in early stage of development.
> I want to write program on system which have only small(not full) C library.

Tango would rather not have the full C lib either. It rather
deliberately uses only a handful of clib calls, and a (small)
replacement for those has been on the cards for years. We just never got
the time to do that.

We'd be very interested in a lightweight replacement for those few clib
calls, written in D