Linux shared libraries - I'm confused

Tristam MacDonald swiftcoder at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 08:19:24 PDT 2007

Gregor Richards wrote:
> Nicolai Waniek wrote:
>> Steve Teale wrote:
>>> Hmm, well that's a bit of a show-stopper for Linux coding then isn't
>>> it. Am I also correct in thinking that GDC does not support D version
>>> 2 yet?
>>>

>> I definitley have to say: yes, this is a show-stopper.
>> I'm still waiting for Walter to make it possible to compiler to an .so
>> under
>> Linux... until that, I stopped using D and concentrating on some other
>> projects
>> w/ python.
>>
>> best regards,
>> Nicolai
>>

> What the hell, people, there's an easy solution: Use GDC.
>
>  - Gregor Richards

Not quite as easy as it might be. There seem to be far more pitfalls to
getting a working shared library under D than under C. In addition,
there is still no 2.0 support in GDC.

On a realated note, it would be nice to get libgphobos working as a
dynamic library with GDC, and shave a few 100K off of my executables...