Performance is not everything

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Fri Aug 17 09:40:31 PDT 2007

BCS wrote:
> Reply to Anders,
>>
>> "* As a first programming language - Basic or Java is more suitable
>> for beginners. D makes an excellent second language for intermediate
>> to advanced programmers."
>>
>> I'd probably rate it third, as you want to learn C
>
> but only because it's so common, but with luck that will change.

I hope not.  Having a single language available for basically every
device in existence is tremendously useful.  If nothing else, other
languages can build a c-front compiler and gain tremendous portability.

>> (or assembler...)
>
> Ohhh Yahhh! Why don't more people think like that?

Because those people find assembler difficult/confusing :-)  I don't
really understand why, as there's not much magic in copying values
around and performing basic operations on them, but it was enough of an
issue for Randy Hyde to create HLA to teach assembler to his students.

Sean