scope keyword - a maintenance nightmare?

Deewiant deewiant.doesnotlike.spam at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 11:17:53 PDT 2007

Guenther Brunthaler wrote:
> * While the closed source Digital Mars compiler really created small and nice
> executables, the GCC-backend created executables multiple times that size

Running 'strip' makes them somewhat smaller. You might want to ask on the D.gnu
newsgroup about why they grow so big.

> * There is is no equivalent to MODULA 2s "Definition Modules". While I think
> it is a good idea to get rid of C++'s primitive "header" files, there must
> still be some means of separating interface descriptions from the actual
> code. Otherwise, you always have to ship the complete source code to anyone
> who just wants to use some interface as a client. Consider writing a plugin
> for OpenOffice.org that way...

http://www.digitalmars.com/d/dcompiler.html#interface_files

Unfortunately, this only separates interface descriptions from object code. What
I miss is the ability to define a function's type and its implementation in two
different locations.