Fixing D's Properties

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Fri Aug 17 14:18:59 PDT 2007

Bill Baxter wrote:
> Sean Kelly wrote:
>
>> Otherwise I see little reason to change "inout" to "ref."
>
> I thought the reason was more to do with const.  Given a const object
> passed by reference, calling it 'inout' doesn't make much sense.

This is the explanation I remember as well.  But I'm not sure it
justifies the addition of a general-purpose sounding keyword simply for
parameter passing.  "inout" may have been a bit confusing in light of
const reference passing, but is consistency with "in" and "out" made it
arguably worth retaining.

Sean