scope keyword - a maintenance nightmare?

James Dennett jdennett at acm.org
Sat Aug 18 08:11:59 PDT 2007

Sean Kelly wrote:
> Guenther Brunthaler wrote:

[snip]

>> Or let's put it the other way: D might be a valid competitor to JAVA,
>> but it still has not got what it takes to replace C or C++ as system
>> programming languages. It just takes more to challenge C++ than D can
>> provide at the moment.
>
> Since C++ will be adding garbage collection in the next iteration of its
> standard, I don't see its presence in D as a particularly strong
> argument for why D cannot compete with C++.

There's one fundamental difference: C++ language features
and standard library are GC-neutral, i.e., will work with
or without GC.  GC is more inherent to D (which means that
D can benefit from certain simplifications, but also that
you can't use so much of D if you're in a situation where
GC isn't an acceptable option).

-- James