Linux shared libraries - I'm confused

Tristam MacDonald swiftcoder at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 08:14:52 PDT 2007

Gregor Richards wrote:
> Tristam MacDonald wrote:
>>

>> Gregor Richards wrote:

>>> What the hell, people, there's an easy solution: Use GDC.
>>>
>>>  - Gregor Richards
>>
>> Not quite as easy as it might be. There seem to be far more pitfalls
>> to getting a working shared library under D than under C. In addition,
>> there is still no 2.0 support in GDC.
>
> So long as the standard library is static instead of shared, it will
> always be more complicated. If the standard library was shared, this
> would be simple.
>
> Oh my god, there's STILL no 2.0 support in GDC after it's existed for
> almost TWO MONTHS??!?!?! For shame!!! Yeesh.

C'mon man, I didn't mean it like that. Of course there isn't a 2.0
release yet, and since it is a beta and very subject to change, I am not
even sure that a GDC 2.0 release is a good idea yet. But if you have a
project already using 2.0 features, you *aren't able* to switch to GDC
to get shared library support.

>> On a realated note, it would be nice to get libgphobos working as a
>> dynamic library with GDC, and shave a few 100K off of my executables...
>
> http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?art_group=digitalmars.D&article_id=43626
>

>  - Gregor Richards

Cool, I will give this a try.