Stroustrup's talk on C++0x

eao197 eao197 at intervale.ru
Mon Aug 20 05:58:57 PDT 2007

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 16:35:41 +0400, Jari-Matti Mäkelä
<jmjmak at utu.fi.invalid> wrote:

> eao197 wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 23:36:07 +0400, Bill Baxter
>> <dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com> wrote:
>>
>>> A lot of you probably saw Bjarne Stroustrup's talk on C++0x on the web.
>>> If not here's the link:
>>>    http://csclub.uwaterloo.ca/media/C++0x%20-%20An%20Overview.html
>>
>> BTW, there is a C++0x overview in Wikipedia:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%2B%2B0x
>>
>> It is iteresting to know which advantages will have D (2.0? 3.0? 4.0?)
>> over C++0x? May be only high speed compilation and GC.
>
> I would put my hopes on the macros, type system and other metaprogramming
> stuff.

If someone really need flexible macro- and metaprogramming-subsystem it is
better to look to Nemerle.

> Those are areas in which C++ doesn't really shine.

IMHO, macro and metaprogramming are areas which C++ simply does not need.
It is much easyer to write some small codegeneration script in
Perl/Ruby/Python and include its result into C++ via '#include'.

> "We give you all the power to create your own constructs."

I'm affraid it would lead to another Lisp-like failure: each lisper write
its own domain-specific language to solve exactly the same problem.

--
Regards,
Yauheni Akhotnikau