Improving D's support of code-pages

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Mon Aug 20 08:16:33 PDT 2007

Anders F Björklund wrote:
> Sean Kelly wrote:
>
>> Tango converts the input args to UTF-8 on Win32 rather than just
>> accepting them as they are.  The args are left alone on Unix however,
>> because most Unix consoles seem to use Unicode anyway.
>
>  From my limited understanding, this automatic conversion seems to only
> be happening with DMD on Windows and not when running GDC on Windows ?

Yes.  As far as I know, GDC works on Windows with cygwin but not with
mingw or just plain old Win32, is this correct?  The routines Tango
currently uses to perform the conversion are Win32 library calls, and
therefore, I assume, not available to GDC.  However, I suppose I could
use POSIX calls for GDC--I hadn't considered that case.

Sean