Stroustrup's talk on C++0x

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Mon Aug 20 08:39:44 PDT 2007

Bill Baxter wrote:
> Walter Bright wrote:
>> eao197 wrote:
>>> BTW, there is a C++0x overview in Wikipedia:
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%2B%2B0x
>>>
>>> It is iteresting to know which advantages will have D (2.0? 3.0?
>>> 4.0?) over C++0x? May be only high speed compilation and GC.
>>
>> Looks like C++ is adding D features thick & fast!
>
> Yeh, from the way Stroustrup was talking I really wouldn't be surprised
> if they haven't finished the spec by year-end 2009.

It actually has to be finished by year end 2008, and they have committed
to getting the standard done on time even if it means dropping features.
  In fact, last I heard, a few features were indeed being dropped for
lack of time, but I can't recall what they were.  I haven't been keeping
that close an eye on the C++ standardization process recently, aside
from the new memory model and atomic features.

As for the C++ 0x additions themselves, if D did not exist I might be
excited.  As it is, I can only cringe at the syntax in some of those
examples and hope things turn out better than I fear they will.

Sean