Improving D's support of code-pages

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Mon Aug 20 10:45:24 PDT 2007

Sean Kelly wrote:

>>  From my limited understanding, this automatic conversion seems to only
>> be happening with DMD on Windows and not when running GDC on Windows ?
>
> Yes.  As far as I know, GDC works on Windows with cygwin but not with
> mingw or just plain old Win32, is this correct?

No, this is not correct. The "gdcwin" binaries are all about providing
the regular Windows/MinGW with GDC just as the "gdcmac" binaries are
about providing MacOSX/Xcode with GDC *without* extra requirements...

You can build GDC for Cygwin and Darwin too, including the rest of the
FSF/GCC toolchain, but it's not a strict requirement as it also builds
OK using the patched versions of GCC that MinGW or Xcode are providing.

> The routines Tango
> currently uses to perform the conversion are Win32 library calls, and
> therefore, I assume, not available to GDC.  However, I suppose I could
> use POSIX calls for GDC--I hadn't considered that case.

You can use Win32 calls, as long as you wrap them in version(Win32) ?

--anders