Stroustrup's talk on C++0x

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Mon Aug 20 13:59:18 PDT 2007

Walter Bright wrote:
> Sean Kelly wrote:
>> It actually has to be finished by year end 2008, and they have
>> committed to getting the standard done on time even if it means
>> dropping features.  In fact, last I heard, a few features were indeed
>> being dropped for lack of time, but I can't recall what they were.  I
>> haven't been keeping that close an eye on the C++ standardization
>> process recently, aside from the new memory model and atomic features.
>
> C++0x started out with the stated purpose of just a few core language
> tweaks, and a bunch of new libraries. Sometime in the last couple of
> years, that was abandoned wholesale and a big raft of complex new
> features were proposed.
>
> I think it's the success of D that lit the fire.

It probably gave them a nudge, but on the other hand, as is abundantly
clear here on this newsgroup, everybody has a favorite feature.  So if
you throw a bunch of engineers and language designers into a room, the
natural tendency is towards trying to add everything and the kitchen
sink.  But I agree that the fact that D is out there (and probably C#,
Python, and Ruby, too) undoubtedly influenced people's votes when it
came time to decide whether it was more important to have feature X or
get the revision out sooner.

It is pretty scary, though, to hear Stroustrup saying that the C++ text
books will need to become thicker than they already are, which was
already about 3x as big as K&R's original book on C.

The one feature (or lack thereof) that surprises me about C++0x is
nested functions.  They're one of my favorite things about D, but they
don't seem to be a part of C++0x.  There can't be any fundamental reason
for it, since I've heard g++ supports them.  Maybe lambdas will serve
that purpose?

As for standards vs standards-compliant compilers, note that MS still
hasn't made a C99 compiler, 8 years after the standard.  And
implementing *that* standard looks like an undergrad homework assignment
compared to what compiler writers will have to go through for C++0x.

--bb