Stroustrup's talk on C++0x

Charles D Hixson charleshixsn at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 20 15:03:01 PDT 2007

eao197 wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 23:26:33 +0400, Robert Fraser
> <fraserofthenight at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> eao197 Wrote:
>
> I didn't. From my point of view, permanent envolvement is a main D's
> problem. I can't start use D on my work regulary because D and Tango is
> not stable enough. I can't start teach students D because D 1.0 is
> obsolete and D 2.0 is not finished yet.
>
> To outperform C++ in 2009-2010 D must have full strength now and must be
> stable during some years to proof that strength in some killer
> applications.

To me it seems that D's main current problem is lack of
dependable libraries.
A secondary problem is lack of run-time flexibility (ala
Python, etc.), but that may be intractable in a language that
intends to be fast.

Well... the libraries problem is intractable, also.  Just,
perhaps, less so.

OTOH, it is crucial that new releases not break working
libraries.  If they do it will not only prevent the
accumulation over time of working libraries, but will also
discourage people from working on them.