Stroustrup's talk on C++0x

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Wed Aug 22 23:03:47 PDT 2007

Bruno Medeiros wrote:
> I think Walter wasn't saying that C++0x features were inspired or based
> on D, just that D speed up the adoption of those features.

D hasn't invented many truly *new* features. What it has done, however,
is dramatically demonstrate that:

1) they fit well in a language that is very close to C++

2) they dramatically improve productivity

When one can point to real, live, *relevant* implementations of a
feature, it tends to be convincing. After all, one can actually fly it
rather than dreaming about paper airplanes.

The further a language is from C++, the easier it is to dismiss a
feature of that language as irrelevant.