Stroustrup's talk on C++0x

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Thu Aug 23 01:33:03 PDT 2007

Walter Bright wrote:
> Bill Baxter wrote:
>> Walter Bright wrote:
>>> C++0x's new features are essentially all present in D 1.0.
>>
>> ..but C++98's features that were missing from D are still missing
>> (both good and bad ones).
>
> Like what? Virtual base classes? Argument dependent lookup? #include
> files? C++ can keep them <g>.

The things that have me banging my head most often are
1) the few things preventing an implementation of smart pointers
[destructors, copy constructors and opDot].  There are some cases where
you just want to refcount objects.  This is the one hole in D that I
haven't heard any reasonable workaround for.  I don't necessarily _want_
copy constructors in general but they seem to be necessary for
implementing automatic reference counting.
2) lack of a way to return a reference.
3) From what I can tell "const ref" doesn't work for parameters in D
2.0. Oh, and
4) real struct constructors.  Just a syntactic annoyance, but still an
annoyance.

--bb