[OT] Google techtalk on LLVM 2.0 and cfront

Jascha Wetzel "[firstname]" at mainia.de
Thu Aug 23 03:20:02 PDT 2007

Bill Baxter wrote:
> Knud Soerensen wrote:
>> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1921156852099786640
>
> LLVM looks very cool.
> At one point in that talk he says that LLVM isn't trying to replace GCC,
> that they have different, though partially overlapping goals, and that
> GCC does some things that LLVM will never do as well as GCC.

i got the feeling that this was a political statement :)
they probably didn't intend to kill GCC, but they could, by accident.

> After watching that presentation I became pretty convinced that the
> future of D should be LLVM.

absolutely. i'm sure it won't be too long until he first llvm based D
compiler surfaces.

> Most of that functionality is actually going into clang, which he pretty
> much said flat out would not support anything besides C,C++ and ObjC.
> But there must be a lot of code that could be leveraged there, and if
> nothing else following the general library-centric design of clang would
> probably be a good thing.  That said it seems like clang is still in the
> very early stages and is no where near being a real C front end yet, let
> alone a C++ front end.

using clang to write a D frontend may not the best idea anyway. D can be
parsed a lot easier than C based languages. it might be more work to
integrate with clang than to write the frontend from scratch.