Stroustrup's talk on C++0x

0ffh spam at frankhirsch.net
Thu Aug 23 17:22:17 PDT 2007

Ingo Oeser wrote [about port i/o]:
> These are of course privileged operations and the compiler
> doesn't actually know your privilege level. So this kind of intrinsic
> is just nonsense. It is also non-sense in a standard library, since >99%
> of all programs out there don't need to do that and the rest codes
> it either in assembly or uses a special API for that.

I do not agree. I've been writing system level software on a number of
architectures since more than 15 years, mostly in C, and of course these
functions are used.
Also, I never even heard of any "special API" for port i/o, and wonder
what such a thing might be needed for (unless your compiler is crippled).

Regards, Frank