Stroustrup's talk on C++0x

Stephen Waits steve at waits.net
Thu Aug 23 17:21:39 PDT 2007

Walter Bright wrote:
> Bill Baxter wrote:
>> Walter Bright wrote:
>>> I think it's the success of D that lit the fire.
>>
>> It probably gave them a nudge,
>
> More than that. The active people on the C++ committee are well aware of
> D. Many have attended my presentations on D, correspond with me about
> it, and lurk in this n.g. Most of them will deny the influence, however,
> so feel free to decide what to believe <g>.

FWIW, I corresponded with Bjarne a little over 3 years ago.  I asked him
for his opinion of D.  He refused to give an opinion on the grounds that
he didn't want to get into a flamewar about "Walter's language".

I wrote him back to make sure he understood that I wasn't looking for a
fight.  I simply respected him and was curious about his opinion, but
that I also understand why, in his position, he cannot comment on such
things.

--Steve