Constness Naming Proposal

Paul paul.d.anderson at comcast.net
Sat Aug 25 19:21:45 PDT 2007

Chad J Wrote:

> Perhaps we should name head constness and tail constness as such:
>
> hiro = Head Is Read Only
> tiro = Tail Is Read Only
>
> Where "hiro" and "tiro" are new keywords for constness.
> These names are made to reflect the notions of constness presented in
> the "Future of D, Part 2" talk at the D conference.

</snip>
> Another note on this use of abbreviation, for those of us who are like
> me and usually don't like obfuscated abbreviations at all:
> There is no english/technical word for constness.  We are condensing a
> few sentences or paragraphs of technical writing and meaning into a
> keyword or two.  We might as well make new words up.

I kept nominating hconst for const(head) and tconst for const(tail) but I was unable to sway the discussion. BTW, the const(head) and const(tail) notation was Andre's -- it's very clear, just a little verbose.

As for English words for constness, I made a list using a thesaurus. Plenty of words, although few are technical:

Invariant
Invariable
Fixed
Unvarying
Inflexible
Rigid
Unremitting
Persistent
Dependable
Consistent
Irrevocable
Definitive
Absolute
Unconditional
Permanent
Enduring
Everlasting
Eternal
Stable
Undeviating
Durable
Unwavering
Established
Steady
Staunch
Resolute
Unswerving
Faithful
Trustworthy
Loyal
Trusted
Obstinate
Determined
Resolved
Rigid
Stubborn
Hardheaded
Unyielding
Intransigent

Lots of words, some technical. I'm voting for 'resolute' for head const and 'intransigent' for tail const.

paul dot d dot anderson at comcast dot net