[OT] Google techtalk on LLVM 2.0 and cfront

Deewiant deewiant.doesnotlike.spam at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 05:51:47 PDT 2007

Aziz K. wrote:
>>> http://code.google.com/p/dil/
>>
>> Looks good. Too bad it's GPLv3.
>
> Why is this bad? Would you like to link non-GPL3 code against dil? I'd
> consider changing the license if somebody would like to do that...

I'm going to write my frontend in any case. If yours ends up better/more
popular, good for you: I might end up contributing to it. <g>

But I don't like the GPLv3 (the "tivoization" stuff), and will probably release
my frontend code as LGPLv2. I haven't gone over the details, but what I'm after
is the benefits of GPL without the restriction that you can't link to non-free
code, and I think that's what the LGPL is for.

This also prevents me from actually looking in too much detail at your code:
it's possible that some jerk decides that I'm stealing your code and placing it
in my project. I could then be sued for not having my code under GPLv3.
(Actually, I'm not sure to what extent third parties can do that. I trust you
not to.)

In summary: IANAL, but I try to be careful, and I don't like the GPLv3.

--
Remove ".doesnotlike.spam" from the mail address.