inp/outp

Carlos Santander csantander619 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 19:01:32 PDT 2007

0ffh escribió:
> Ingo Oeser wrote:
>> Because every D compiler HAS to implement it for every architecture.
>
> I concur with Lutger on this:
> IIRC intrinsics are a compiler thing, not a language thing.
> They are routinely used for compiler-specific stuff, I take that as a hint.

I remember that Walter once said that all in Phobos under std/ was standard, as
a part of the D standard (I hope I'm getting my words right.) Thus, as Ingo
said, a standard D compiler has to implement those things.

This (not specifically inp/outp, but Phobos in general) was a problem when there
were licensing issues (I wonder if still there are some), as other D
implementations would not be able to provide those features. In this case, the
architecture-specific parts would be the issue to overcome.

In a way, it would be like expecting all OSes to have a registry. The sound
solution was to put the Windows Registry stuff under std.windows. A D compiler
that doesn't run on Windows wouldn't need to provide those modules. The same
could be done for these intrinsics: put them in std.arch.x86.intrinsics, or
something like that.

--
Carlos Santander Bernal