DS3

torhu no at spam.invalid
Mon Aug 27 08:31:12 PDT 2007

David B. Held wrote:
> So I d/led and installed DS3, ran over to my favorite D project, and
> typed 'dsss build' to see what would happen.  It tried compiling
> everything in the directory and gave me a lot of warnings about no
> module declaration; so I thought that was handy, fixed it, and tried it
> again.  This time, rebuild tells me I'm an idiot and I haven't invoked
> it correctly, and gives me the help page for rebuild.  Well, I guess
> that's ok, but I don't really want to have to know that DS3 is built on
> top of rebuild, because I couldn't feed it the right arguments anyway.
>
> It seems to me that in this case, DS3 should tell me something like:
> "Hey you moron, I couldn't find a config file so I don't know how to
> build your project."  That's actually what I was hoping and expecting to
> see, so how likely is it we can get this kind of idiot-proofing added?
> I suspect it may help the adoption rate a little if the tool gives hints
> to impatient people who don't like to RTFM, and it will make it look
> just a little more polished.  Thanks.
>
> Dave

I'm not sure if you already know this or not, sorry if you do. :)

If you just want to build an app, you can just do 'rebuild myapp',
rebuild works the same way as bud does.  It will then parse a file
called myapp.d, and compile and link everything by looking at the import
statements to find the other files needed.  The output will be
'myapp.exe'.  Can't get much easier.  Additional compiler arguments,
libs, etc. can be added to rebuild's command line unaltered.

DSSS basically reads what you would put on the command line for rebuild
from the file dsss.conf, and then runs rebuild based on that.  Once
you've got the basics working, DSSS can do a lot more than that.
Nothing I've had the need for myself yet, though.