So, what happened?

Paul pauldotddotanderson at comcast.net
Mon Aug 27 09:18:00 PDT 2007

Alexander Panek Wrote:

> BLS wrote:
> > Steve Teale schrieb:

> >> Evidently it's a secret.
> > Yeah, feels like:  piss off
>
> Nah. I don't think it 'feels' this harsh. It's monday, after all, so
> most of the guys may still recover from massive jetlags or hangovers (or
> both (for massive dynamicism)).
>
> I'll just patiently wait until any of the attendees joins on IRC - then
> they'll be kidnapped and tortued... I mean.. lets just be patient. :P

I've hesitated to report because I was only very peripherally involved in the discussions and it's not an area I know much about, but as I understand it the point of agreement was to make the two libraries compatible, so that Tango would work like "just another library".  This implies that the Phobos and Tango would share a common runtime library, which was the focus of Sean Kelly's talk at the conference. There are also a few incompatibilities (toString and toUTF8; errors and exceptions) that need to be sorted out.

The bottom line (if I've got it right) is that both Tango and Phobos will continue but it will no longer be an either/or situation for developers.

Others with more involvement can probably give a clearer report.

Paul