DSSS and multiple intermingled environments

Gregor Richards Richards at codu.org
Tue Aug 28 07:24:41 PDT 2007

DSSS seems to be getting a lot of flak recently because it's not
particularly happy being used with multiple versions of DMD, GDC, etc
all layered together.

This is hardly fair to DSSS. Detecting such situations is an
arbitrary-complexity problem, and DSSS can never really know what has
been changed under it. It can make some reasonable guesses, but since
IMHO those would usually been wrong, I've erred on the side of
ignorance. That is, if you're going to change DSSS' underlying
compilation environment, it anticipates that you will consider the
consequences and `dsss distclean` first.

I don't know whether this situation will improve. To be honest, I hardly
consider the fact that DSSS is not psychic a bug. As I already said,
it's not something that can be fixed magically, it's actually quite
complex. If you're going to be forcing DSSS to jump through multiple
environments, just clean up after yourself.

Do a `dsss distclean` before building with a different compiler.

  - Gregor Richards