URL consistency for D 2.0 website.

Leandro Lucarella llucax at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 19:36:18 PST 2007

Dejan Lekic, el  4 de diciembre a las 00:31 me escribiste:
> Khm... I do not know about this...
>
> The system is pretty much straightforward from my perspective - it uses what is common in all version control systems, where the most recent version (the one
> in-development) is in he trunk (/), while other versions are in tags/branches (/1.0)

Website != program, and particulary, website != program using svn (because
is the only VCS that I know, that, by convention, use that name scheme).

In websites you want clean, stable URIs, so you don't have problems like
the ones I presented and you don't end up with broken links, or worst,
"hijacked" links (links that should point to D 2.0 specs that
suddenly points to 3.0"). There are many other reasons for stable URIs,
you can read about them here:
http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI
(start reading at "Why should I care?" if you get bored at the begining,
the "latest" case is mentioned in "So what should I do? Designing URIs" =)

And anyways, what I am proposing don't interfere at all with your proposed
svn-ish scheme, is just like you have a 2.0 branch that stays in sync with
the trunk if you whish. You loose nothing, you win *a lot*.

> Secondly, there is no stable D 2.0 yet, so it simply does not belong to "/2.0".

Stable or not, D 2.0 releases are called 2.0, the website mention 2.0
version. If D 2.0 is not 2.0 I think it's not a wise choice to name it
2.0 =)

PS: http://www.digitalmars.com/d/ claims to be HTML 4.01 strict but it
    doesn't validate :S
    You can see the errors here: