URL consistency for D 2.0 website.

Robert Fraser fraserofthenight at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 11:16:01 PST 2007

jcc7 wrote:
> I don't know how hard it would be for Walter to change the links to make D 1.x
> default, but I wouldn't guess that it would be that hard. I'd be nice if he'd at
> least reply to this thread or the last one
> http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?art_group=digitalmars.D&article_id=60812
> to let us know why we're wrong. I think that a good number of us are in agreement
> on this issue (even though D isn't a democracy).

I doubt it would be hard at all (if nothing else, just stick a rewrite
rule in the server config & there you go), but I can see a possible
reason why 2.0 is the main page: new users will most likely adopt
whatever's on the main page or grab the "latest version" that's not
clearly marked alpha/experimental. Although 2.0 _is_ alpha/experimental,
Walter could want to increase adoption of 2.0 by new D users rather than
be forced to support a legacy product, so in this sense, encouraging new
users to give 2.0 a try is a solid decision.

I disagree with this reasoning, as I think (if nothing else) it gives
new users the impression that D is not stable and breaking changes are
often introduced, which is not true at all of the (fully capable) 1.x
branch.