Calling conventions - OT: XML

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Thu Dec 6 16:20:00 PST 2007

Derek Parnell wrote:
> This is a style that I'm getting some traction with ...
>
> (* Alison Audiolab Plugin Database)
> (plugindb
>    (plugin (type VST) (uniqueId ANGE) (name Angelina) (vendor Big Tick)
>            C:\Programme\Ableton\vsti\angelina\angelina.dll
>    )
>    (plugin (type VST) (uniqueId adl1) (name Analogic Delay)
>            (vendor DanielBosshard)
>            C:\Programme\Ableton\vsti\dubtools\Analogic Delay.dll
>    )
>    (plugin (type VST) (uniqueId bdl1) (name Bionic Delay)
>            (vendor Daniel Bosshard)
>            C:\Programme\Ableton\vsti\dubtools\Bionic Delay.dll
>     )
> )

It sure looks like lisp/scheme sexprs.
Is there more to it than that?
By traction do you mean you have a library and/or spec and people
besides you are starting to use it?  If please let us know more.  The
sooner XML dies the better.  :-)  Can it be translated 1-to-1 to and
from XML?  I think that's key for any would-be XML killer.  You've got
to give the XML addicts an easy way to wean themselves off of it.
Automatic translators would be a big help.

--bb