remove keywords

Robby robby.lansaw at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 21:16:13 PST 2007

mandel wrote:
> A proposal in a nutshell:
>
> - removal of the keywords "unittest, "version" and similar.
>
> - replaced by global compile time variables.
>
> - "dmd -<name>=<value>" to set them. Variables not found result in
> compiler warnings
>
> - "dmd -list version*" or similar to list all global variable names with
> prefix "version"
>
> -> less keywords, more powerfull control (use in boolean expressions),
> more native syntax, easier to understand
>
> Ideas? Problems? Objections?
>
> btw.:
> bool enableXYZ;
>
> if(enableXFZ) import foo.Bar;
>
> ...might be hairy to implement?

Please please don't. From my standpoint, and converting over 70k lines
of code over to D I can attest how easy the simplistic way of how D
handles versions is so nice in the long run. I do like the idea of
version (a,b,c) though, oddly enough.

Now if I could get a way to enforce a type can't be null by the language
itself, it would save a lot of if(whatever == null) cruft I have lined
throughout from the *other* language port we're doing:(.

yanno, something that says I expect class Whatever, I want class
Whatever and don't you damn well give me null.

I have noticed a push for changing adding complication for unittest as
well, but I hope it stays quite similar, though I really would like a
lil more fine tuning of how it's ran.