Walter's second axiom

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Sat Dec 8 11:28:39 PST 2007

Janice Caron wrote:
> This is not a feature request as such. I'm just mentioning - from a
> purely theoretical standpoint - a violation of Walter's second axiom,
> and a possible remedy.

That axiom didn't really exist until Andrei started pointing out to me
all the advantages of being able to wrap types in a struct. So we can
expect some historical problems with it.

But it is a very useful one going forward with changes to the language,
as it keeps us from making things worse. I suspect that the closer we
can adhere to that axiom, the better generic programming will work.

Other axioms in D have been there from the beginning, and have helped
keep the language on track. For example:

1) D can be lexed with no syntactic information
2) D can be parsed with no semantic information
3) Modules can be imported in any order without affecting their meaning
4) The meaning of imported declarations is not affected by the context
of where they are imported