Does anyone use 'with' statement?

Robert Fraser fraserofthenight at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 00:44:16 PST 2007

serg kovrov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Recently I have studied a (proprietary language) code. The language
> features 'with' statement in the same sense that D does. To understand
> what this code sample really do I had to remove all 'with's and
> fix/compile code many times before it start working as original.
>
> I don't know why never tried to use it in my own code before, but now I
> definitely will NOT use it ever. Even if it could save me some typing. I
> found 'with' far more evil than even 'goto' (which I don't use as well).
>
> -- serg.

I agree the explicit way is more readable, but I don't have strong
feelings against the with statement if the object it's with is
referenced in every statement in the block.

Goto, used correctly, increase readability, IMO. Having ported some C++
code that used quite a bit of goto over to Java, and the temporary
boolean variables used seem less readable to me and often force code to
split up into many places.