D Con 07 videos

Christopher Wright dhasenan at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 08:25:49 PST 2007

Alexander Panek wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 18:23:29 +0900
> Bill Baxter <dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com> wrote:
>
>> To be a little less facetious, Brad's going to organize it again and
>> Brad lives in Seattle, and his employer in Seattle graciously donates
>> the facilities for the gathering.  Also Walter and Andrei are both in
>> Seattle too.  Thus it is in Seattle again.
>
> No offense intended, but this is a rather deficient argument. Even
> though I appreciate that it is being organized, I don't see a point in
> excluding a big part of the community by holding it in the US again.
> It's just not affordable to go to the US for most of us. I suppose the
> same applies to your situation.

It's a rather good argument: the people who absolutely must attend are
all in Seattle, and there are free facilities there. If nobody else
volunteers a facility and travel expenses for at least Walter, then they
won't have a convention in their country.

Renting a facility to hold about a hundred to a hundred fifty people for
three days... you'd probably spend a few thousand dollars or euros for
that. (The Washington Convention Center in Washington DC, to take a
Leftpondian example, would cost about US$1400 for the space, and
probably a few hundred more for AV equipment.) Flying in Walter only
adds a few hundred, though. Still, you'd have to charge attendees,
probably in the range of $30 if you're not serving food, more like $40
or $50 if you're serving food. Charging money cuts into attendance.

Of course, there's the question of how many people would attend, if the
convention were in Europe or Japan. You'd get more Leftpondians if it
were in the US, of course, and Leftpondians probably make up a plurality
of the people here.

Moreover, holding it in Amazon means you get developers from a major
organization wandering in. That's a decent advantage.