The exe generated by dmd unable pass Malware scan

Matti Niemenmaa see_signature at for.real.address
Tue Dec 11 04:29:42 PST 2007

Eric Suen wrote:
> "Walter Bright"
>> Eric Suen wrote:
>>> Any exe generated by dmd 1.024 unable pass Virus and Malware scan
>>>
>>> by http://www.virustotal.com/, it report:
>>>
>>> Ikarus T3.1.1.12 2007.12.10 MalwareScope.Worm.Warezov.3 Prevx1 V2
>>> 2007.12.10 Heuristic: Suspicious Self Modifying File
>>>
>>> anyone has same issue, or there are something wrong on my computer?
>>
>> Since dmd generated executables don't have self-modifying code in them, the
>>  scanners are buggy.
>
> This is really embarrassing situation, what if a hacker write a real Malware
> using D language and using this as excuse? Because now this is not the
> problem of one program, this is about all the exe generated by dmd have the
> same problem. In the end it will harm the D language itself...

Bull. As a test, I compiled the following two programs using DMC:

C program:
	main(){printf("Hello, world!\n");}
C++ program:
	#include <iostream>
	main(){std::cout << "Hello, world!\n" << std::endl;}

Both give the same results at virustotal.com. (
http://www.virustotal.com/resultado.html?7cea308e6efc369ecce29f36643cb026 and
http://www.virustotal.com/resultado.html?d4a22dc322ff2b90da03bbf9d8fe8ee7 )

Are C and C++ "harmed" because two virus scanners (and not even the better ones,
like Kaspersky) don't like the code a specific compiler produces? I don't think so.

If you want to perform a manual analysis of the generated asm to make sure it
doesn't do anything malicious, feel free. I won't bother.

--
E-mail address: matti.niemenmaa+news, domain is iki (DOT) fi