The exe generated by dmd unable pass Malware scan

Bruce Adams tortoise_74 at yeah.who.co.uk
Thu Dec 13 17:32:25 PST 2007

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 09:09:07 -0000, Alexander Panek
<alexander.panek at brainsware.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 13:35:47 -0800
> Robert Fraser <fraserofthenight at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> b) Virus scanners are very useful in th modern world; when did they
>> ever stop being so?
>
> Even though it is out of context: I  haven't ever found a need for a
> "virus" scanner (the word virus in this context is hilarious) apart
> from the time where I was searching for cracks for games using IE 5 on
> Windows 98 when I was a kid.
>
> Point being: don't use malware or software that enables malware by
> default. Then you also don't need resource-sucking software like
> virus/malware scanners.

That is only one method of infection.
There are plenty of viruses (and hackers) that scan for open ports and
exploit bugs like buffer over-runs to get in. The hackers and viruses may
be ahead of your security patches, though M$ are getting better at that.
Once something has got in you need to know about it. Its all very well
having
skin (firewall) to protect us from bugs in the real world but we need an
immune
system (malware scanner) as well. Its a belt and braces thing.
Of course, on linux your skin is more like a spacesuit so there's less to
worry
about. Less virus writers and a less flawed security model.