Proposal: static template(fail)

Janice Caron caron800 at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 13 23:33:18 PST 2007

On 12/14/07, Robert DaSilva <sp.unit.262+digitalmars at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've tried it and it didn't work for me.

I didn't think it would.

I didn't get a chance to try before Robert, because of timezone
differences (I was in bed asleep between the two posts). Still, it's
nice to see that folk in other parts of the globe can do the
experiment while I'm tucked up in bed! :-)

I believe that under the current system, if the (T:whatever) rule
passes, the template is deemed to have matched, and nothing can
subsequently change its mind. Any compile error encountered from there
on is considered a real compile error. And I think that's correct
behavior.

The "template(fail)" suggestion would add a way to say, after the
event, "I've changed my mind. Please consider this unmatched after
all".