An Anti-Big Feature Request

BCS ao at pathlink.com
Fri Dec 14 15:46:44 PST 2007

Reply to Downs,

[goood stuff]

Yup. There are a few bugs I'd like to see fixed to.

> Clean up the issues with the OMF tools? Maybe even consider switching
> to PE?
> (Heresy, I know; however, it is fact that GDC has no problem with
> megabyte-long symbol names)

BTW, Why isn't this getting fixed? people known how to fix this, several
solutions have been thrown out there. this should have been fixed a long
time ago.

here's my take on it:

If the symbol is over 1Kb*, MD5 it or something and use that. Hash them down
to 128bits and your chances of collision are so remote it's not even worth
thinking about.  If you need to be able to go back to the original, stuff
a table in the .obj that maps the two. This wouldn't make for human readable
link errors but the gzipping that is used now doesn't either.

* or pick your size