toString vs toUtf8???

davidl davidl at 126.com
Sun Dec 16 19:22:13 PST 2007

I really don't get why there was an argument about it.
Obviously tango team chose a bad name. toUtf8 has nothing to do with
enforcing a
string to utf8 encoded. Thus, toUtf8 is misleading. And as a library API ,
the
design goal is to make each API simple. And design is a process of solving
problems.
While solving problems needs to decompose. It's a common sense to
decompose problems.
But why when we come to this toString and toUtf8, we forget to decompose??

Decompose toUtf8 -> we get toString -> Encode_String_Utf8

Someone might argue toString is too long to type. But toStr is even
shorter than toUtf8

--
使用 Opera 革命性的电子邮件客户程序: http://www.opera.com/mail/